Friday 18 August 2017

Darling, you are a work of art - Jane Davenport’s MM Acrylic Stamps 4 Faces #376686


 

Hello everyone. Hope you had a fun weekend.  Today I'm inspired by Jane Davenport’s MM Acrylic Stamps 4 Faces #376686 and Mermaid Markers. They are back in stock.

I’m working in my 6x6 watercolour homemade art journal. It’s made from a Daler Rowney Hot Pressed 300gm paper pad.

To start I inked up one of the stamps with Ranger Victorian Velvet distress ink and stamped the image onto the page, then used a pencil to sketch over the stamped image.



I didn’t invent this technique, but I think it’s a pretty good technique if you want your face to look softer than when stamped with archival ink.
 
When I opened the mermaid markers I squeezed a little too hard, so my advice is two or three  soft squeezes just until you see the ink in the brush. 

This ink is very pigmented so I laid a little Beach onto an acrylic block then picked some up with a water brush to colour her face and neck, avoiding the eyes.
 
I added colour until I was happy. I coloured in her irises using a dark blue pencil then drew in the pupil with a Black Posca pen.
 
I then emphasised  her eyes with a Unipin fiineline black pen and drew in fine lines for her eye brows.


I coloured her lips with the starfish marker, but I didn’t use the water brush. It’s a very small area so I used a very fine dry brush to pic up a bit of ink.

When the lips were dry I added a few vertical lines on her bottom lip using a fine White Posca pen then smudged with my finger.

I laid a little Byron Bay marker onto the acrylic block and added a tiny bit of water then added the shading around her eyes with a water brush.
 
Now for the hair:  I used my Distress Sprayer, but only pulling the trigger a little to drip water onto a small area at a time, then I dipped the Mermaid marker into the water until colour was disbursed. 
 
 
It should really air dry but I’m impatient so dried the area with my heat gun and moved onto the next area. I repeated this until all the areas were coloured then added a few drips. 

You can see in this pic that I have now accentuated her nostrils, lips, eye brows with a No. 1 Unipin fineline black pen.
 
I used a flower from the Stencil-Art Flower Girl Stencil and a White Hybrid gel pen to draw in the flowers, then went over the flowers with a White Posca pen. 
 
 
I dyed a short piece of Ranger ribbon using just a little of the Mermaid markers and when dry I glued it on a small strip of card stock, creating some “ruffles” then glued it to the bottom of her neck. 

 
Next I doodled in a few dots and coloured the centres of the flowers with a Unipin fiineline black pen. You can see that I also deepened the colour around her eyes a little.

To finish the page I added a small heart to her cheek and a sentiment from the Ranger Small Talk sticker set.

Bye til next time.
 
 
Supplies:
 
Watercolour Journal
Jane Davenport Mermaid Markers
Jane Davenport’s MM Acrylic Stamps 4 Faces #376686
Scrap of Tim Holtz Idea-ology Crinkle Ribbon
White and Black Posca Pens
White hybrid gel pen
Glue
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Small Talk Stickers
Water Brush
Fine paint brush
Stencil-Art Flower Girl Stencil
Distress Sprayer
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment