Friday 31 March 2017

Easter Gifts : Embossed Metal Book Cover


I need some Easter gifts and really racked my brain to come up with something non-chocolate. 

Then I remembered that some time ago I bought a few 10 x 10 cm, 100 page, chipboard covered books. They are lovely little notebooks and I knew they would make just the right gift once decorated. 


I painted the inside and outside of the front cover with Dylusions black paint, using a Ranger Ink Blending Tool & Foam and left it to dry. I also ran the applicator around the edges to make sure everything was covered with black paint. I have to say the finished look is really good. 

I cut a piece of Silver Creative Craft Metal Sheet to 8.5 x 9.5 cm and taped it over a texture plate. 


And then ran it through my cuttlebug.

If you don’t have one, no worries, use a paper stub to rub the impression onto the metal. It takes a bit of elbow grease and time but it works. Once you have the design, place the metal on a hard surface and begin defining areas more.

Working from front to back repetitively, push out from the back on a soft surface and neatening from the front, on a hard surface, until you are satisfied with the detail and the height of the raised areas.

This step is not necessary if you’ve used a cuttlebug or similar machine to emboss your pattern.

Because the design is what is known as low relief, there is no need to fill the back with beeswax. I removed the tape and then added colour with alcohol markers. Making sure I worked it in.

I rounded the bottom corners with a corner rounder and used a clear sealant to seal the pieces. When dry, I glued them to the front covers of the notebooks.

I applied more colour and sanded the raised areas with a sanding grip (use a soft cloth to wipe away any dust) and sprayed with sealant.

Magic happened and I now love it! The perfect Easter gift! 

Supplies:

10 x 10 hardboard covered notebook/s
Silver Creative Craft Metal Sheet
Dylusions Black Marble
Ranger Ink Blending Tool & Foam
Texture Plate
Cuttlebug or paper stub
Alcohol pens or Alcohol Ink
Glue
Spray Varnish

No comments:

Post a Comment