Friday 21 February 2014

Hi Everyone,

As previously mentioned I released 4 new stencils featuring different angles of faces.  I have never tried an abstract painting before and decided to give it a go while I played with the new face stencils.

I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and vibrancy of the Heritage Craft Products' Artist's Acrylics as it is not expensive.  I have found that the Metallic Artist's Acrylics are however translucent.



Instructions:
  1. Cut a mask of the whole stencil with Wax Paper (Deli Paper) and adhere to the background paper with Adhesive Spray. (I use wax paper from Checkers - it works great on the Gelli-Arts Plate as well!)
  2. Make a wash with Black Acrylic Paint and water and cover the background.
  3. Use Cosmetic sponges or a stencil brush to create some texture with Metallic Acrylic paints and stencils. Dry each layer of paint before adding more paint. I used Heritage Craft Products Metallic Artist's Acrylics in Regal Red, Sapphire Blue, Brilliant Gold, Emerald Green & Amethyst and Stencil-Art stencils (Crazy Arrows, Crazy Triangles, Bent Squares). I have cut some of my stencils in circles so that it does not leave such a straight border when I use it in my art projects).
  4. Add more texture with white Acrylic paint (Heritage) and Stencil-Art Scrambled Letters stencil. Repeat with Dark Gold Artist's Acrylic and Spiral Burst stencil.
  5. Remove the wax paper mask and spread some black Texture Paste (Heritage Craft 3D Contour Paste) through the stencil to create a raised outline for the image. Dry before adding colour.
  6. I used Heritage Craft Products Artist's Acrylics in Red, Blue and Yellow to "colour in" the face.  It was quite fun to just add and mix the colours.  I did, however try to create highlights and shadows with the lighter and darker colours. 
  7. I used White and Black paint to add details to the face.
  8. I used the 3 primary colours and Black and White to cover the too busy background. 
  9. You are more than welcome to e-mail me if you need some more information at sareana@stencil-art.co.za.

Youtube video:



No comments:

Post a Comment