Monday 27 January 2014


ART JOURNAL PAGE USING TIM HOLTZ DISTRESS PAINTS & STENCILS

My daughter started her final year at school in the beginning of 2014.  All of a sudden there was a shift in our relationship.  I realised that my baby was growing up, trying to find her place in the world.  I decided to journal about this big change in our lives - after all, that is what art journaling is all about!




  1. I am using an old book to journal in. Click here to find more information on the book I used.
  2. I use wax paper behind the pages I am working on to protect the rest of the pages in my journal. I prepare the pages with Gesso, as the surface is shiny and not very absorbent. I spread the Gesso in a very thin layer with an old gift card.
  3. I use Distress Paint - Broken China, Salty Ocean & Chipped Sapphire for the background.  After applying the paint, I spray with water and blend with a paintbrush. Use a sea sponge to create some texture before the paint dries.
  4. Use Flowers-Mixed stencil and Distress Paint - Picket Fence to create some more texture in the background. As the paint is fluid the images will not be crisp!
  5. Mix Distress Paint – Picket Fence & Chipped Sapphire with water to create a fluid wash and splatter with a stiff paintbrush.
  6. Use the Fashion Figures stencil by Stencil-Art to draw two figures with a 4B Derwent Water-soluble Sketching pencil. Use the detailer tip Ranger Water brush to soften the sketch lines.
  7. “Colour-in” the figures with Distress Paints – Scattered Straw, Mustard Seed, Fired Brick, Seedless Preserves, Spiced Marmalade, Peeled Paint, Vintage Photo, Walnut Stain & Black Soot.
  8. Use the Flowers-Mixed stencil by Stencil-Art with a sea sponge and Distress Paint – Picket Fence & Black Soot to create dandelion flowers. Use Faber-Castell Pitt Artists & Big Brush pens in Black to draw in the Dandelion flowers and seeds.
  9. Write the sentiment with the Derwent Water-Soluble Sketching pencil and then with the Faber-Castell Artists pens in black when you are satisfied with the wording and spacing.
  10. Use Faber-Castell Pitt Artists Big Brush Pens to add detail to the figures & dandelion flowers.
  11. Add some dots with Distress Stain – Brushed Pewter.
  12. Use Faber-Castell Pitt Artists Big Brush Pen – Warm Grey to add shadows to the figures and the script.
  13. Remember to add the date.

Watch the video on Youtube:






No comments:

Post a Comment