Monday 7 August 2017

Arty Fun

Happy Monday! I hope everyone had an awesome weekend. I did.


This journal page is about having some Arty Fun and using hand lettering in my journals even though I have not yet perfected this skill.  Its all about accepting and loving your art for what it is.  

I made this mini art journal from a sheet of 200 gsm mixed media paper. The first thing I did was prep my Daler-Rowney Aquafine watercolour paint by spraying the palette quite liberally with water then I applied it to the page in smallish patches, trying not to let the colours run too much.  I let the colours dry in between to try to prevent the colours running into each other. The application mustn't be too light otherwise the "ghosting" wont show. 
 
 
Now I have to admit that I was so involved in the process that I didn’t take pics of this stage but I recreated some of the processes for you, so some of the pics won’t always match the finished page.
 
When the page was dry I drew a double squiggly border around the page and blocked it in using a White and Black Posca pen, then I moved on to the next step,  stencils and wet wipes.    
  
For the most part I used a circle stencil but you will see on the finished page I also used a wiggly stencil and a wet wipe to remove some of the colour. This is Dyan Reaveley's technique which she calls "ghosting".  The trick with this technique is to use good watercolour paper and a not too saturated wet wipe. If your wet wipe is too saturated the water seeps underneath the stencil. I like this technique as It adds another layer of subtle interest to a page without overpowering the page and you can add more layers on top. 
 
  
I brought out my Kate Crane Texture cube 1 stamp by Stampotique and stamped a couple of times with White acrylic paint using different sides of the cube.  This is one of my favourite stamps for art journal/mixed media pages and I use it all the time. 
 
I also outlined some of the stencilled circles with a White Posca pen. 
 
 
 
 
I added colour here and there with a small circle stencil I made long ago from the Tim Holtz Mixed Media Die set. I use it often on my journal pages.
 

I stamped three images from the Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions Cling Stamp Set – Mini Me and Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions Black Sheep Cling Stamp Set. I also cut some some legs from another stamp set.
I fussy cut them then coloured them in by rubbing distress crayons onto my craft mat and then picking up a bit of colour with my water brush. The background is quite busy and the colours are quite muted so they don’t fight with the background.

I used a little Dylusions Washi tape in both the top right corner and the bottom left corner to create another layer and glued the Dylusions ladies onto the Washi tape on the left hand side of the page, tucking the legs in before gluing down the bottom of their dresses. 

I'm new to hand lettering and really don’t have that much time to practice, but I would like to improve these skills and use creative lettering on some of my pages so gave it a try.   

My art journaling is about my arty friends whom I art with.  We laugh, we learn from each other, we make a mess but most of all we have fun!!!!!
 
See you next time!
 
Supplies:
Daler-Rowney Aquafine watercolour paints
White Acrylic paint
Water Colour paint brush [large fluffy one]
Pentel Aquash Water Brush Pen
Stencils
Wet Wipes
Stampotique Kate Crane Cube stamp
White and Black Posca pens
Hand made stencils
Dylusions Washi tape
Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions Cling Stamp Set – Mini Me and Dyan Reaveley's Dylusions Black Sheep Cling Stamp Set.
Scissors
Ranger distress crayons
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment